Instructor: Geneva Mottet

A bit about me: I grew up in Southeast Alaska and the San Juan Islands in Washington state, where I gained a love for the natural world through hiking and fishing. I finished my MS in Physics in 2019 at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I currently live on a homestead near Fairbanks and enjoy sharing my interest in science and the natural world through public outreach and a YouTube channel.

Engineering with Shapes

Grades: 3-7

Dates: Session 1: January 30 - February 27

Zoom Times: Mondays, 2 PM - 3 PM

Cost: $195

Description: How does an engineer design a building that will stand up? They need to learn geometry. Learn why triangles are the strongest shape by building a truss. Examine how different polygons fit together in a tile puzzle. Use area and volume to improve your designs of structures and participate in a spaghetti bridge-building challenge. This class is offered with weekly hands-on experiments and Zoom sessions where students can share their learning with the instructor and each other. Study questions, quizzes, YouTube videos, and other supplementary materials will be offered through Google Classroom.

Course Kit Content: Labels, sharpie, various assorted wood shapes, ruler, masking tape, toothpicks, marshmallows, foam cylinder, parafilm, cloth, spaghetti, super glue, construction paper, hollow ball, weights and weight hanger